With "the flying Dutchman" Van Der Sar confirming our fears of him quitting football at the end of the season, United seem to have narrowed down to three players, De Gea, Stekelenberg and Neuer. Let's take a lot at all 3:
David De Gea:
|Young and promising|
A highly rated Spanish goalkeeper who playes for Athletico Madrid. Still just 21 but tipped to take over Casillas for goalkeeping job for Spain, once the Real Madrid goalkeeper retires, even though more experienced Reina, Asenjo and Valdes are in queue too. The reports of United being linked to DeGea first came around March last year, when it was first reported that Athletico Madrid have rejected United's offer.
- Just 21, has lot of potential to improve. And at the best club in the world, under the best coaches, his career will take a steep rise.
- Has played at highest level even in such a short career.(including a UEFA Europa Cup victory)
- His age might just go against him. Since VDS is set to retire at the end of this season, United want a player who is capable of taking up his job at the biggest club right away. And SAF, who has always gone for experience between the posts might just let DeGea go.
- Price of around 20m for a goalkeeper is too much to ask.
|Already Van Sar's replacement at Netherlands|
The Ajax goalkeeper played a crucial role in Netherlands' World Cup campaign where the Oranjes lost out to Spain in the finals. A product of the famous Ajax youth academy, the player gained heap full of experience as an understudy to VDS in his early days.
- At 6feet 6inches, he's amongst the tallest goalkeepers.
- The keeper has made it clear that he would not extend his contract that is set to expire in 2013.
- Has been an understudy to VDS and replaced him first at Ajax and then for the National team.
- At 28, he has enough experience for a good goalkeeper.
- Has the backing of Van Der Sar.
- Has my backing too. :P Saw his performance in the 2010 World Cup. He was great. Cool as a cucumber.
No such cons. Just that the price might bother United.
|Experienced and in demand|
Neuer has been the longest one whose name has been linked with United. The first news of Neuer coming to United came back in around 2009. Neuer, who has been with FC Schalke 04 earlier expressed his desire to play for United.
- Has played consistently for Schalke for the past 5 years.
- Was judged the "best goalkeeper" in Bundesliga for 2007.
- Had a difficult world cup.
- United could face a bidding war with Bayern Munich.
- German goalkeepers haven't done well overseas.
Let's just salute to the veteran Dutch goalie who has served 5 of his golden years with the best club in the football history - Manchester United who were lucky to witness his best form ever!
|Glory Glory Van Der Sar|